… Syracuse, New York that is.
On April 21, 2017, NOX Dojo entered its largest team yet of 12 athletes to compete in our 4th year in the Niagara District Championships of AAU Karate. This year. we were 1 of 2 teams from Canada as we were joined by a team from the London Karate Club coached by Kirstene Warnell. We had a unique challenge this year as we added 4 new athletes to the team late in the season plus 1 other athlete had yet to qualify for nationals. The efforts of these athletes resulted favorably for us as everyone made podium guaranteeing us a spot in at Nationals in Raleigh, North Carolina and the Jr. Olympics in Detroit, Michigan this summer.
Every year, our team does its best to stretch its capabilities and this year, we added weapons to our regimen. Bob Lindblom, Tyler Lin, and Zachary Chin made the podium who brought back silver, bronze, and gold respectively. In addition, Bob Lindblom acted as an official Shushin (corner judge) for the first time in an AAU event. A role which he absolutely took a shining to. What a wonderful way to step out of your comfort zones and shine guys! You inspire us all.
Like always, there are ups and downs in competitions. Meeting and falling short of achieving expectations is all a part of being a competitive athlete. Our secret weapon is our battalion of supportive parents who are there through thick and thin. Sewing on patches, covering during staging, documenting the matches, running for water, and wiping the tears. While earning hardware is at the forefront of our minds during competitions, the most precious treasure is the communal support of the team’s coterie. We all win and lose together. Share the bruises of defeat. Yes of course…the glow of making podium shines on all of us regardless of who earns it.
Our medal results are as follows:
- Bob Lindblom: Silver in Kata | Silver in Kumite | Silver in Kobudo
- Brenna Lin: Bronze in Kata | Bronze in Kumite
- Tyler Lin: Bronze in Kobudo
- Ryan Koo: Gold in Kata | Gold in Kumite
- Sydney Lublin: Gold in Kata | Silver in Kumite
- Zachary Chin: Gold in Kobudo | Gold in Kata | Silver in Kumite
- Koa Yamashita: Silver in Kata | Silver in Kumite
- Tiago Peisz: Gold in Kumite
- Cora Peisz: Gold in Kata | Gold in Kumite
- Brandon Dela Cruz: Bronze in Kata
- Michaella Co: Gold in Kata | Gold in Kumite
- Nolan Chong: Silver in Kata | Bronze in Kumite
- A special thank you to Ethan Co for acting as a much needed coach for our athletes when coach Sean Wong was unable to be in 2 or 3 rings at a time.
Although some did not make podium in all of their events, everyone still qualified to Nationals and J.O. for finishing in the top tier. Congratulations team on a great job. Let’s keep the momentum going. Go Team Meibukan Go!